Thursday, January 14, 2010

When you think you can't. You need to atleast try. The results are suprising.




One of my goals that I've been vocal about on my blog is my goal to be able to run a 13 minute mile.  In my head at the beginning of the year that was going to be a very hard goal to achieve.  I've never really been a runner, and the running has been my mental and sometimes physical road block to overcoming my heart surgeries.    A very dear friend has been reminding me a lot this week that a 13 minute mile is going to be very achievable.  In fact that friend called me out on the carpet.  Flat out asked me, have I actually been running to get my 15 and 17 minute times.  Well he was right, I was doing short thirty second sprints and then a minute or two of walking to calm down before I tried again.  Well after a few joking threats from him last night telling me he was going to stop by and he would be having me run a 13 minute mile before I knew it.   I came home tonight right after work, changed into my workout clothes and stepped onto the treadmill with determination.  I'm going to do this.  I can achieve a 13 minute mile, maybe not today but very soon.  Well I did a few sprints at a faster speed then I was doing, did some speed walking and when I hit 11 minutes I was in shock I was getting really close this might be possible.  So I stepped it up a notch and did a few more sprints.  No I didn't hit my goal today but I can honestly say I'm happy with what I did achieve.   Every day I'm one day closer to my goal.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Jenny! I didn't know about your heart surgeries. I hope to be able to jog some day, right now I walk very fast on the treadmill, 3.4 mph for 40 mins. Don't think my joints can handle the heavier pounding of jogging at this point.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete